Source: Marie Curie
Date of publication: February 2012
Publication type: Report
In a nutshell: This report from Marie Curie’s considers the economic impact of providing care to patients in the community, rather than in the acute setting and presents a clear argument for the development of high-quality community-based care. Marie Curie estimate:
- community care at the end of life costs £145 per day
- specialist palliative in-patient care costs £425 per day
- changing the setting of care could reduce daily costs by £280.
- between 355,000 and 457,000 patients need palliative care annually.
- If community services were developed to enable just 30,000 patients to reduce their hospital stay by just four days, there could be a saving of £34 million.
Length of publication: 8 pages